Saturday, September 22, 2012

Life is a big classroom.

The other day as I was praying for patience through a bout of Nevaeh tantrums I realized there is a lot to be learned from toddlers. I started putting together a list of things that I learn through Nevaeh and then added some things I try to teach her. Here they are, in absolutely no particular order: 

Try Everything Once. (learned)
I mean why not, right? To me I wouldn't think that something that you wiped all over your smelly, hairy, armpit would appeal to the pallet, but if it tastes as delightful as it smells it's worth a shot. Now there are more useful things to try....like a somersault. Because once you try this, you may find that you can actually do it and do it well. See Nevaeh tried a somersault and did it wonderfully. Now she does somersaults and jumps and headstands all day long. As an adult, it would be quite odd to pick up somersaults. But there is always golf, knitting, writing, speaking to groups. Try something. Do something. Discover.

Be a fan of yourself (learned) but not your biggest fan (taught)
I just love when Nevaeh gets a kick out of herself. She claps for herself quite often and I realized we need to do that sometimes. Clap for yourself. But know when to stop. No one likes those people who are their own biggest fan. There is so much to learn in this life and I highly doubt you'll ever master all of it. Give yourself some credit for where you are putting forth effort and once you actually excel at something, let others cheer the loudest for you. 

Be other peoples biggest fan. (taught)
I have this list. It's mental so no one can actually view it, but it's basically a list of people I am huge fans of, for one reason or another. I have a dear friend, Raquel. Couldn't be more proud of her accomplishments and humility. She's done things I can't even pronounce, but you'd never know it unless you looked at her resume. Cassi. Couldn't think of a more encouraging friend and passionate person. Linda Andrews. Can't even explain in, just something about that lady I can't get enough of. My list seriously could go on and on and on but since you don't know these people I won't bore you. 

Include everyone (learned and taught)
I love this one because it's dear to my heart yet I don't feel like I've intentionally taught Nevs this. Whenever she gives me a kiss or a high five or a "nice to meet you" handshake...she has to go and give baby and Daddy one as well. There is hardly ever a time when she will only give one of us a kiss, it's usually a family affair. And I love it. I want her to be aware of other people's feelings and I think this is a great start. I understand you can't ALWAYS include everyone, that's just not practical or wise. You need intimate settings and friendships but I'm talking about in general. If you think someone might get their feelings hurt for not being invited..just invite them. This is probably why I invite 60+ people to our parties. Ok, maybe I need to work on this. 

Never tire of a wonderful welcome home greeting (learned-big time)
There is nothing more wonderful I can think of than when you walk through the door and this little 30 inch ball of LOVE comes running at you full speed with the biggest smile and the happiest face. I realize this would be a tag ridiculous if I did this, but I can modify. Getting up off the couch or walking away from the sink to greet my man is a wonderful life lesson learned from my 20 month old. 

Get your hands dirty (learned)
Not a huge fan of diving into things. Whether I'm plagued by laziness, doubt, or germaphobia I tend to like my hands clean. Nevaeh on the other hand....she'll pick up a cricket, she'll smear smoothie all over the table, she'll rub glue in her hair...she's not afraid to get messy. In fact, she often welcomes messy. I don't think I will rub glue in my hair or smoothie on my table, but I'm learning it's ok in life to get a little messy. To try things. To fail. To get back up. To discover! 

Always say good bye with a kiss (learned)
Whenever Nevaeh picks up any sort of bag she says "byeeeeeee" and comes and gives you a kiss. She is pretending that she has gathered her stuff and is now ready to leave. It's really sweet. I realize I should never be in such a hurry that I don't kiss everyone in the house before leaving. You never know when your last good bye will be. 

Be creative (taught)
I always tell Nevaeh that getting dressed is one of the favorite parts of my day. It's a time to be creative! Unless you go shopping quite often you might tire of your wardrobe frequently. I do. I can't tell you how many times my husband has heard "but i don't have anything to wear!" The truth is I don't have anything NEW to wear. Am I spelling wear right? All of a sudden it looks funny. ware. Ok I think i was right. Brain fart. If you have 3 pairs of pants, 3 shirts, 3 necklaces, and 3 pairs of shoes....do you know how many different and NEW combinations you could create?? So Nevaeh is slowly learning, that you can add a different bow and pair of shoes to a dress and make it look totally different! viola! 

and finally....


Be Passionate! (learned and taught)
Aren't toddlers just the most passionate little things? My little Nevs loves her blanket. If you decide it smells and needs a washing, watch out. She may or may not throw all 22 pounds of herself onto the floor and wail the entire time it washes AND dries. Or if you rid her of a nap and then also tell her "no"....oh man. Well I guess that wouldn't be passion...that would be tiredness. Anyways, I love Nevaeh's passion. Not the bad passion, but the good passion. Her face and body exude life and passion as she explores and discovers all there is to discover in this world. I never want to grow out of that. Passion makes you hungry. Hungry for more. Hungry for life. 


Thanks Nevi Nu for teaching me, reminding me, and making me laugh! 


xoxo,
Carrie



1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post! And good for you for finding the positives in the trials. You make other lives richer for your insight.

    ReplyDelete